Have you always wanted to perform on a stage but were too afraid to try? Come check out our Weekly Drama Ministry for 6th graders, youth (7th – 12th grade) and Adults. Weekly Drama meets on Tuesdays nights (see times below) in the sanctuary and performs at the 11 AM worship service on most 2nd and 4th Sundays. We do not have drama during the summer months. We write our own dramas and, through this process, engage in spiritual and faith-based conversations. We encourage everyone to participate and there are other ways to be a part of this ministry besides being “onstage.” Drama meets in two groups (you can be in both, if you wish):
The Writing Sub-Committee (Meets Tuesdays during the school year 6:00-7:30pm)
- Takes the sermon topics/descriptions or holiday/special dates and creates dramas that will be used during the Sunday Service.
- This includes picking a drama scenario, creating dialogue and writing the scripts to be used.
- The process also includes discussing your spiritual journey, sharing your spiritual beliefs, personal history, etc ….
- To create stories that are relevant and interesting to our congregation. Don’t worry, names and details will be changed to protect the innocent.
- We want to create dramas that utilize all forms of theater (comedy, drama, etc..) as well as other types of literature, performing and visual arts, including poetry, singing, drawings, etc.
The Acting Sub-Committee (Meets almost every second and fourth Tuesday and performs at most second and fourth Sundays at second service 7:00-8:30)
- We ask that participants can commit to rehearsal and services in advance so the Writing Sub Committee can create scripts based on the number of people participating. Dates will be sent out in advance and you can respond with your availability.
- Rehearses and performs the drama scripts written by the Writing Sub-Committee.
- The practice on the Tuesday night is usually dedicated to preparing for the drama that will be presented the following Sunday. Check your calendar so you’ll know if you’ll be available on Sunday.
- Besides the Tuesday night practices, we will also do a final run through of the script with sound and props on Sunday morning at 10:30am. Please arrive on time, since we are very limited on the time we have to run through the drama before members of the congregation begin to arrive.
- We will also do drama/theater exercises and games on Tuesday nights so we can have fun and continue to grow our skills.
- If you’ll miss Sunday service, come on Tuesday night anyway. You can still participate in the games/exercises and help in other ways.
- We typically will not have a drama piece on the first Sunday of each month but we will still utilize the prior Tuesday practice to get ahead.
The Adult Drama group performs dramas to be presented on special occasions such as Advent, Lent & more.
Some of our recent dramas include: Journey to Bethlehem, A Kitchen Epiphany, Ordinary Sinners and Reflections on the Passion.