Elk Grove District Methodist-Episcopal Church was organized in 1858. The church and Parsonage were built in 1876 on Elk Grove Blvd. opposite Derr Street, at a cost of $3,400.
The Elk Grove Presbyterian church was organized on February 12, 1877, although the first services were held as early as 1856. Many years’ later members of the Methodist and Presbyterian churches, realizing the need for united strength, decided to combine.
In the early 1900’s the Bruceville Methodist–Episcopal Church was built. It was dedicated on August 31, 1902. L.P. Walker was pastor. As the years went by families moved away and the little church was no longer used.
In 1920 the Methodists and Presbyterians joined together to form the Federated Community Church of Elk Grove. The Bruceville Methodist–Episcopal church was sold and the monies invested in the Federated Community Church of Elk Grove.
A new church building was erected on the present site where the Presbyterian Church had been (8986 Elk Grove Boulevard) and was dedicated on February 4, 1923, for $18,400.00 minus the plumbing, heating and electrical work. It is a theatre like auditorium and movies were shown on Friday nights. In 1925, a Pipe Oregon was purchased from the First Methodist Church of Sacramento located at 6th and L streets in Sacramento, and was installed. In 1938, the church was remodeled again to celebrate its 25th Anniversary.
The Methodists and Presbyterians voted to separate in 1951, and the Elk Grove Community Church (Methodist) was born. The Presbyterians moved to the Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church in Fair Oaks. In 1952, the church was remodeled again and in 1957, the Education Building was constructed.
In 1976, the 100th Anniversary of the church was celebrated. The “Frame” property was bought to become a parking lot (property behind/south of the church). In 1988, the church decided to remain in “Old Town” Elk Grove and began to plan for expansion at the current site. In 2001, building began and the parking lot was started and completed.
From 2002-2010, Capital Campaigns funded the following projects: Upgraded electrical wiring in the Sanctuary, upgrade of the transformer, heat and air conditioning was added to the main building, air conditioning added to the Sanctuary, installation of a Projection System, upgrade of the Gage Street Front Entrance, partial funding of a Youth Ministry Director, and completion of two new restrooms in the main building. Perhaps the largest project in the Capital Campaign was the installation, in 2010, of a three story elevator which provides access to all floors of the church, including the Sanctuary and Bartholomew (social) Hall. Additionally, a play structure and basketball court has also been erected, along with new grass and an updated sprinkler system. In 2011, Bartholomew Hall and the kitchen were remodeled including new cabinets along the south wall and a coffee bar. In 2010, a “Get-to-Know-Your-Neighbor” Saturday breakfast was initiated which has the dual purpose of building community in our part of Elk Grove and helping any who may be hungry. In 2012, a “Get-to-Know-Your-Neighbor” Sunday lunch was added. In 2014, we joined with other church and community groups to provide winter shelter to the homeless in a program known as EGWINS and we serve as the Intake Site.